There are hundreds and hundreds of web hosts out there and choosing one from the crowd can be really hard.
There is no perfect host, we wish we could say otherwise and that you should move to this or that host MainWP plugin has no size or speed limits set into it, but it has to run in accordance to the server’s configurations. If the server is slow or bad then naturally the plugin may have a harder time in running properly.
- Optimized for MainWP Dashboard.
- Sometimes, servers are overloaded causing browsing sites hosted on them very slow or server time outs.
- Problems may occur with sites bigger than 450MB
- No cPanel
- Reports that cURL does not come pre-installed on droplets so you will need to install it in order to connect a Child site
- HTTP Loopbacks are not allowed (PHP connects back to site via curl to Site URL).
- “Unlimited” is not truly unlimited. Storing backups in your account is PROHIBITED by unlimited plans terms of service.
- Resource related:
- Extremely slow zip generation.
- Problems may occur with sites above 22mb (limit can be increased with zip compression turned off) due to slow processing.
- Possible workaround: Extend php timeout in php.ini file to increase MainWP run-time.
- Uses custom control panel (No cPanel).
- Configuration related:
- No native command-line zip.
- Procwatch automatically kills off MainWP if it uses too many resources while creating a backup or clone.
- You need to verify your mysql server as it may not be the common default localhost (important for cloning and migrating process).
- Custom control panel (No cPanel). Some changes take up to hours to take effect.
- On some servers slow site load time can occur.
- Some servers overloaded not leaving processing power for backups or clones.
- System kills any PHP process working too long or too hard (ie backup / clone process).
- Command-line zip available for best MainWP experience.
- Max PHP runtime limit is 30 seconds for shared hosting.
Current limits of reseller and shared hosting (9/20/2011):
- safe mode = Off (cannot adjust)
- memory_limit = 64M (MAXIMUM)
- max_execution_time = 30 (MAXIMUM)
- max_input_time = 60 (MAXIMUM)
- post_max_size = 64M (MAXIMUM)
- upload_max_filesize = 64M (MAXIMUM)
- enable_dl = Off (cannot adjust)
- Does not allow loopback connections so your Dashboard and Child need to be on separate servers
- Dev team tested and No issues reported
- Minimal issues.
- Linux command line zip is not supported.
- Minimal issues.
- Command line ZIP is blocked by this host.
- Reports of them automatically quarantining plugin files causing major issues. Can be resolved by contacting their support and asking them to remove the quarantine.
Rack Space Hosting
- Failing path/directory detection may occur due to symlink issues. (Prevents backups and cloning)
- We cannot accurately report the status for Cloudsites hosting.
- It’s recommended to add the following to your .htaccess
php_value default_socket_timeout 6000
- Blocked command line zip via PHP exec().
- Downloading of backup files via web is disabled for enhanced security purposes. This will also affect cloning
- UpdraftPlus plugin not working properly so the MainWP UpdrafPlus extension may have issues with this hosting
If you have experience, good or bad, with any hosting provider that is not listed in our list, you can share it with other MainWP Users by submitting your impressions in the MainWP Contact Form.