iThemes Sync is a Software as a service (SaaS) for managing multiple WordPress sites. MainWP is not SaaS-based and it will never be.
It is very easy to change over from iThemes Sync to MainWP to manage all your clients’ sites.
- First, you will need to install MainWP Dashboard to create a Dashboard site to manage all of the connected sites. It is always recommended to use a fresh WordPress install for the MainWP dashboard site. First, install the MainWP Dashboard plugin, then activate and walk through the steps of the setup wizard.
- Once you have set up the MainWP Dashboard site, you will need to install the MainWP Child plugin on the sites you want to connect to your MainWP Dashboard site.
- With the MainWP Child plugin installed and active on the site using iThemes Sync, you will need to add that site into the MainWP Dashboard site.
- Go into the iThemes Sync manager, and you can remove that site from the admin panel.
- Once you have connected the site in your MainWP Dashboard site, go into the site and deactivate and delete the iThemes Sync plugin.
iThemes Sync will have created a number of option values in the site’s database. The next step will be to clean up the options tables of data no longer needed. Log into phpMyAdmin, and click on the sites option database table, then click on Search. In the option_name value, you can enter
ithemes_%. This will find all of the option values that iThemes Sync created in the site’s options database. Once you have searched for the option values which match
ithemes_%, you can now select and delete those option values. You will need to connect each of the sites you want to manage with MainWP using the previous steps, then you can delete the site in iThemes Sync manager, and deactivate and delete the iThemes Sync client plugin on the WordPress site.