Can I add MainWP Dashboard site as a Child Site?
This is a question that I see in MainWP Support almost every day and the answer is Yes!
There are multiple reasons why you should do this, however, I will focus on one in this article.
First, let me guide you through the process of connecting a dashboard to itself.
- Go to your Dashboard site
- Go to the WP > Plugins > Add New page
- Search for MainWP Child Plugin
- Install it and Activate it just as any other WordPress plugin
- Next, go to the MainWP > Sites > Add New site page
- Fill in the form with the Dashboard Name, URL and Administrator Username (in some cases, other fields will be needed too).
- Click the Add Site button to complete the process.
From this point, your Dashboard site will be listed as any other Child site in the MainWP > Sites > Manage list.
Let’s get back to the reason we are doing this. As a support agent at MainWP, I often see that users are not keeping the MainWP Dashboard plugin and MainWP Extensions up to date. This can cause a variety issues the two biggest ones being Security and Compatibility.
So, with this tutorial, I want to show you how to enable Auto Update so you don’t have to worry about updating your MainWP Dashboard and MainWP Extension.
- Go to the MainWP > Settings page
- Locate the Upgrade Options box and in it, set the Automatic Daily Update option to Install Trusted Updates.
- Save Settings
- Go to the MainWP > Plugins > Auto Update page
- In the Search Plugins options set filters to All Plugins and add “mainwp” in the keyword field
- Click the Show Plugins button
- Once the search results are displayed, select all MainW Plugins (Extensions)
- Use the bulk actions menu to mark all of the as Trusted
That is it, MainWP will update itself and you don’t have to worry about it anymore. The only thing that you need to worry abut from this moment is to keep WP Cron triggered. However, there is a nice way to make this work flawlessly.